I have to be honest, I used to watch Girlfriends for the show alone when I was in college...but, recently, I only watch for the style...and mainly only Tracee Ellis Ross' looks. But, all-in-all, I still love the show and am a dedicated viewer.
Stacy Beverly, the costume stylist for Girlfriends and The Game does an amazing job with the budget she is given to give each character a distinct look.
Joan Clayton/Tracee Ellis Ross has a bohemian chic look going on and I know many viewers like myself want to know where to go to get her look. Here are a couple of places I have found doing the research:
- Accessories are key, search for key pieces from the show like: Hoops, Chandelier earrings bold necklaces, rings or bracelets/bangles with an ethnic edge. A jewelry designer that Stacy Beverly likes is Dominique Cohen.
- Trousers, wide leg and high-waisted styles are very signature for Joan on Girlfriends. She is all about the drama in her look and her character for that matter.
- Stacy Beverly recommends that everyone have the following in their closet: black pumps, black skit (I recommend pencils and that is what Joan usually wears), great pair of trousers tailored-once again, this goes back to wide legs and higher waists and getting something tailored always makes the pieces even better.
- Boutiques that Stacy Beverly frequents: Catwalk on Fairfax Ave., Decades on Melrose, Curve, Vionett, Magda Berliver
- Ethnic Prints
- Long Cardigans
- Huge Handbags
- Also, through my searches I found a site that recommended items for women with curves like Tracee, try the following: Joe's Jeans Honey Fit, 7 for all mankind for jeans (they never really worked for me, but we could all try and see), Victoria's Secret Marissa fit pants, and A-line or pencil skirts. Check out more great ideas from www.fashionnette-work.blogspot.com
For more ideas on how to attain this look from another fashion blogger than loves Girlfriends style check out:
*These are pics of Tracee Ellis Ross in real life...I am going to have another post with clips from the show so that everyone can see what she wears on the show...